Many companies have become comfortable with virtualization, which lays the foundation for developing a private or hybrid cloud strategy. But to optimize their infrastructure, IT pros need to understand that a cloud environment has some key differences from an environment that is just virtualized. In this e-book series, we define the cloud and the attributes -- like automation, chargeback and new management tools and strategies -- that take virtualized data centers to the next level. With advice on selecting virtualization vendors and tools that will help in this process, readers will be able to make informed decisions about their virtualization strategy and design a smart architecture for cloud, rather than approaching it on a costly trial-and-error basis.
Chapters Available For Free Access
This chapter provides an overview of major virtual platforms and tools on the market with a focus on building a framework for the cloud. ...
The right virtual management tools can make all the difference in moving to a cloud environment. Products from major virtualization vendors and from ...
Many IT shops need to manage their virtual environments on a tight budget, and increasing pressure to provide private cloud capabilities in the ...
Tips and Tutorials
- Do the benefits of hybrid cloud computing live up to the hype?
- Five tips to heed when moving from virtualization to cloud computing
- Refresh your approach to private cloud capacity planning
- What enterprise IT departments can learn from cloud companies
- Setting up VMs to fail: When a disposable VM makes financial sense
- Columbia Sportswear's move from virtualization to private cloud computing
- Cloud management gets muddied with VMware vCloud Automation Center
- VMware vs. Microsoft: Cloud management is the new battlefield
- Virtualization at a “freemium” and other potent quotables
- VMware ships vCloud Connector 1.5: News in brief
More Premium Content Accessible For Free
Virtualization solves a lot of problems, but it also presents new challenges, especially related to storage. Do you need new tools that address ...
Automation isn't new, but as virtualized environments become more complex, admins are seeing a bigger need for features that help them manage their ...
Virtualization creates an abstraction layer between hardware and the operating system and applications, providing great flexibility and ease when it ...