The HP ProLiant BL495c virtualization
Based on the typical configuration of 4 GB per virtual machine, the BL495c can support a minimum of 32 VMs. Customers filling an HP BladeSystem c7000 enclosure with 16 BL495c server blades can utilize up to 512 VMs, HP reported.
The BL495c is powered by AMD Opteron 2300 Series processors. HP will add support for Intel Corp. processors later in the year.
Key components of the BL495c blade server include the following:
- 16 memory slots for up to 128 GB of memory capacity
- support for fast and reliable solid-state drives that use less than 2 watts of power -- the first HP blade to do so.
- extensive storage options, including the ability to expand to multiple terabytes of disk per server.
- built-in virtualization for Citrix XenServer and VMware ESXi. Also supports Microsoft Hyper-V
Jim Ganthier, the director of marketing for HP BladeSystems, said the BL495c has twice the memory typically found in a blade and twice the typical number of network interface cards (NICs) (eight versus the usual four).
Full specifications for the HP ProLiant BL495c server blade are available on HP's website.
The HP ProLiant BL495c virtualization blade server will be available Sept. 15. Pricing starts at $2,449.
Rounding out HP's virtualization push
HP also announced new product enhancements and offerings. Here is a quick overview:
- the new HP asset management identifies and manages VM inventory and licenses, allowing customers to pay for only those licenses they need;
- a new strategic development agreement with Red Hat simplifies the monitoring and management of virtualized environments;
- HP virtualization support services to help users transition to and manage new virtualization technology and reduce the risk of unplanned downtime;
- HP StorageWorks 4400 Scalable NAS File Services, a combination of the HP StorageWorks 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array, file servers, management software, and Windows or Linux support to virtualize the connection between servers and storage. This reduces maintenance costs and mitigates the risk of data loss with advanced replication software; and
- HP Virtualization Accelerator Services, a new, predefined consulting service for planning, designing and implementing virtualization initiatives for faster return on investment.