By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
A team of expert judges -- consisting of editors, independent analysts, users and consultants -- will evaluate nominations. Not all nominees will be contacted directly by judges or interviewed in person during the show. Nonetheless, all products must be available for demo on the show floor should a judge request demonstration. The Best of Show category will be determined by a judging panel; nomination forms should not be submitted for this category.
The deadline for submission is Friday, July 27. If you submit multiple products, complete one form for each product; provide only one entry per product. Enter through our Best of VMworld 2012 Awards nomination form.
Note: Only products that have shipped between September 2011 and August 2012 and are generally available can be considered for categories other than New Technology. Products due to ship between September 2012 and December 2012 are eligible for the New Technology category.
Email queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
II. Category Descriptions
The following categories may be subject to revision in 2012:
1. Business continuity and data protection. Legitimate entrants are technologies that are designed to back up, restore and replicate data, and/or achieve fault tolerance.
2. Security/compliance and virtualization. Legitimate entrants monitor and protect hypervisors, guest OSes, and virtual networks and enforce security and compliance best practices.
3. Virtualization management. Legitimate entrants monitor, track and troubleshoot virtual machine (VM) availability and performance problems; migrate files; manage VM lifecycles; configure and provision VMs; or provide other VM management functions.
4. Hardware for virtualization. Legitimate entrants are hardware platforms and devices, including servers, storage and networking devices that are optimized for virtual environments.
5. Desktop virtualization. Legitimate entrants are software and hardware platforms that deliver or enhance the delivery of virtualized end-user desktops. Examples include desktop virtualization software, client devices and connection brokers.
6. Private cloud computing technologies. Legitimate entrants are those that use virtualization to enable private cloud infrastructures. A private cloud is operated solely for one organization, is typically managed by that organization and is on premise.
7. Public and hybrid cloud computing technologies. Legitimate entrants are those that use virtualization to enable cloud infrastructure that is made available to the general public and is owned by an organization selling cloud services. Hybrid clouds are a composition of private and public clouds that remain unique entities but are bound together by standardized or proprietary technology that enables data and application portability between clouds.
8. New technology. Legitimate entrants are new technologies in the previously listed six virtualization categories that have not shipped but that will be available by the end of 2012.
III. Judging Criteria
Innovation. Does the product introduce new capabilities or significant improvements? Does it break new ground?
Performance. Does the product perform to the degree that it could improve overall data center operation?
Ease of integration into environment. How easily does the product integrate with other products? Can the product operate effectively in heterogeneous environments?
Ease of use and manageability. Is the product easy to install? Are the product's functions clear and easy to learn and run? Will the product scale to accommodate growth?
Functionality. Does the product deliver as promised? Does it provide greater or more useful functionality than others in its category?
Value. Does the product represent a cost-effective solution? Can its ROI be easily justified?
Fills a market gap. Highlight the need it fills and the problems it solves.