This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
3. - Virtualization videos with IT pros: Read more in this section
- How Cisco is integrating Composite Software with its networking products
- Pfizer research fellow discusses experiences with data virtualization software
- Data management complexity amplified by server virtualization issues
- Facilitating the virtualization of mission-critical applications
- Business user touts hybrid virtualization and cloud computing model
Explore other sections in this guide:
Breaking down barriers to virtualizing mission-critical applicationsDate: Aug 27, 2013
Authors Matt Liebowitz and Alex Fontana discuss recent advancements in technologies that allow IT administrators to virtualize mission-critical applications such as Microsoft SQL Server.
Once thought of as a risky endeavor, virtualizing Exchange Server, SQL Server, Oracle and other business-critical applications is becoming more common place in today's data centers. In many cases, virtualizing these applications is the final step IT shops need to take before they become 100% software-defined. VMware Inc. has reportedly outfitted vSphere 5.5 with features that will help virtualize these low-latency, high-I/O demand applications.
Watch this video to hear Liebowitz and Fontana discuss the changing attitude around virtualizing mission-critical applications, and how this fits into the software-defined data center future.