This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic.Explore more in this guide:
3. - VMworld 2013 videos: Read more in this section
- SDN and storage are the name of the game
- VMware dips its toes into multi-platform management
- Recapping the VMworld 2012 keynote
- Why virtual RAM licensing is no more
- What's new in VMware vSphere 5.1
Explore other sections in this guide:
What's to like in VMware vSphere 5.1 and what's fresh about vCloudDate: Aug 28, 2012
Video training author David Davis talks about VMware's CEO transition, the company's moves toward automation and the vRAM reversal. In the first general session of VMworld 2012, attendees heard about the software-defined data center, why VMware needs to go there and how it will differentiate itself in the cloud industry. Plus, the company announced new features of vSphere 5.1, including the vSphere Web client.
Not everyone is happy that the vendor is replacing VMware Data Recovery (VDR) with VMware Data Protection because it has many of the same limitations VDR had, Davis said. In contrast, Davis applauds vSphere Replication, which you can now use without buying Site Recovery Manager.