By default, passwords are randomly created for anonymous accounts each time they are used.
To force all anonymous accounts to have a specific password, follow these steps. This works only for MetaFrame 1.8, for Windows Terminal Server, Service Pack 1 or later.
- Run Regedt32.exe from a command line.
- Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT
- With the Winlogon Key highlighted, select the Edit pull-down list.
- Select Add Value. Add the following value if it's not already present:
Value: AnonPasswordType: REG_SZString:
The String value is where you place the actual password that you want assigned to all anonymous accounts. Do not include the angle brackets (<>).
- The registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
\Citrix\ Value: “MaxAnonymousUsers” sets the maximum number of simultaneous anonymous user connections. The default value is 99. Increase this value if more simultaneous anonymous connections are required.
The anonymous accounts are automatically created in Computer Manager up to the maximum set by the above registry key. By default, anonymous accounts Anon000 – Anon015 are created in User Manager; however, if all 15 are being used and a 16th user launches an anonymous session, another account is dynamically created. This behavior continues until the maximum number set in the registry key above is reached. If the maximum threshold is reached, the next attempt at an anonymous connection is prompted with the Windows NT login screen asking for a valid user ID and password.